Hi! Today, as we are on Christmas, I’m writing the recipe of the Three Wise Men’s cake, which is eaten in most Spanish homes on 6th January morning. It’s a round-shaped cake, made of puff pastry or sponge and often filled up with cream. Sometimes, some pieces of sugar coated fruit or nuts are put above the cake. Here is the recipe for the cake and the necessary ingredients:
Ingredients (for eight people):
- 320 g. of wheat flour and a bit more, to knead (it must be hard wheat flour).
- 25 g. of fresh baking leavening.125 ml. of whole milk.
- 100 g. of sugar.
- 75 g. of unsalted butter (it must be warm).
- 2 eggs (not too big).
- Orange zest.
- A big spoon of orange blossom water.
- A nibble of salt.
- Some nuts or sugar coated fruits, to decorate.
How to make it:
- First, we dissolve the leaving into the milk, which must be warm. We leave the mix for 15 minutes so that the leaving activates itself.
- Then, we make a volcano with the 320 g. of flour, and we add the orange zest, the sugar and the milk with the leaving. We mix everything.
- We add the butter, the orange blossom water, one egg and the salt.We mix everything and add a bit more of flour, until the mass becomes a bit harder, without being sticky.
- We make a ball with the mass and we leave it in a warm place for 3 hours.
- After that time, we knead the mass so that the air comes out, we give it a round shape and we put it on an over tray; we put it again in the warm place and we wait for 2 hours.
- Finally, we put it in the oven, previously preheated, at 165 ºC, for about 25 minutes. Before putting it in the oven, we can decorate it with the fruit and paint it with the resting egg yolk. Also, we can make a mixture of 25g. of sugar and some drops of water and spread it over the cake. It will look like it has snowed above your Three King’s cake.
Carmen Martínez González de la Lastra